These days there are plenty of devices out there that will allow you to edit video, pretty much any computer can handle simple video editing and even your phone can give you some video editing tools.
If you are looking to produce professional quality content however, you'll need a high performance computer to produce the video you want.
With 4K, 6K and 8K footage you'll need a powerful computer that can process all of the data otherwise your computer will run extremely slow everytime you make even the smallest edit. Nobody wants that!
To make sure that you are able to produce the content you require make sure your computer is compatible with the editing software you will be using. If you are using Final Cut Pro, you'll have no choice but to use a Mac. If Adobe Premiere or Davinci Resolve are your software of choice you'll have the option to choose between a Windows or a Mac computer.
When buying your editing workstation the three key things to consider are:
- Processing Power
- Storage Space
- Screen size/ Resolution
Here are some basic specs to look for when buying a computer for video editing:
- Memory/ RAM: 8-32 GB RAM (ideally at minimum 16GB)
- Processor: Multi-core Intel i5/i7/i9 preferably with 4 or more processor cores.
- Storage: At least 256 GB hard drive, 7200 RPM, preferably SSD
- Graphics Card: This is dependent on the editing software. Premiere Pro and Resolve work well with AMD and NVIDIA. (Minimum 2GB memory)
- OS: Windows 7 (64 bit), Mac OS X, Linux
- Screen size: Minimum 19-21 inches
- Firewire or Thunderbolt Port built in or as an external dock