I was talking to a customer yesterday and he asked what I think the best backup format is.
That's a loaded question because there's commonly 3 ways to do it.
- Disk to Disk
Each has its own upsides and downsides. We'll dig into the different options and the ups and downs of using each one.
- Low Cost/ Terabyte
- Can be stored on a shelf or in a LTO library
- Low power consumption
- Perfect for incremental backup
- Slow to pull data from
- Hardware issues kill your speed
- Not a common piece of technology
- Unlimited Storage Space
- Off-site storage
- Disaster recovery
- Always have to pay monthly for storage
- Data recovery dependent on internet connection
- Can be slow during upload/download
Disk to Disk
- Fastest Option
- Many options for data copy
- Low budget
- A more "Bootstrap" method for backup