Servers are computers designed to provide services to other computers on a network. They are used for many different reasons, so check out this list of the top 5 types of servers and their purposes.
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP) servers are responsible for transferring data files from the server to a computer and vice versa.
- Proxy servers connect between a client and an external server.
- Gaming servers connect gamers around the world to external servers for access to a game. Any online gaming community such as Xbox Live or Playstation Network are these types of servers.
- Web servers hold website files and are responsible for displaying websites in a browser. Everytime you go to a new website page a web server is responsible for making that happen.
- Application Servers share the territory between database servers and end users.